From a Coach at one of the top three programs at the
2019 NCAA Division 1 Championships:
…we love downloading the information off the oars afterwards to give out to the athletes. We have been doing low rate stuff so far so I put together a excel from the summary data downloads from each piece that combines it all into one spreadsheet. This way they can be ranked after each practice. The top kids love seeing who had the best numbers after practice. We joke that the smart oars have special powers because it’s rare that the boat with smart oars lose. (It’s amazing how well boats go when everyone is held accountable). We joke that we should get blinking lights to put on all the oars.
Once we get into high rates, we will use the other spreadsheet that shows every stroke’s number. Then I like to make visual graphs with a trend line so the women can see if they put more or less force on the oar in the second half of the pieces.
We are big fans!!”
Whether your crews are:
Very Good or Learning
smartOar will help you make them better.
Train smart: know what’s going on in the boat.
How hard is each rower pulling? How well are they pulling together?
We used smartOars during our selection camp and training phase for the U23 Women’s National Team that ended up having great performances in Bulgaria (sweeping the 8+, 4-, 2-).
- Wesley Ng, Head Coach, University Of Pennsylvania Women’s Rowing
SmartOar is the only easy -to-use, real-time force measuring equipment on the market. Now, as a coach, you can see the force actually exerted by your rowers through the stroke. You and your rowers can see the catch and finish timing, the shape of the curve and work on ways to achieve even more speed through the water. SmartOar gives you visibility into each stroke, in real time, from the launch. It can help you make the changes you need in order to get the best from your crews while holding them accountable for their performance.
With smartOar YOU CAN
· See the shape of the force exerted – per oar, through every stroke
· View and record up to 8 oars – simultaneously
· See the catch and release timing – to an accuracy of 1/100 of a second
· Monitor the check in the boat and see the set – on every stroke
· Tailor the shape of the curves – to match your coaching philosophy
· Send your crews off on their own and self-record – for later download and analysis
· Make videos of the data – let your crews see what you see
The smartOar real-time force curve feedback system offers high schools, colleges, clubs, and individuals real-time feedback on how their crews are rowing. Our system is easy to use and non-invasive in practices and races
- Wireless: oar-to-oar, oar-to-coach’s launch
- Highly accurate and precise even with rigging changes
- All oars offer both and
- Any brand of oar can be instrumented
- All components work together: add sweep or sculling oars, indoor tanks, gate angle sensors, and Coaches’ Tablets
- Boat Accelerometer for seeing real-time check in boat, set at catch
- Gate Angle Sensors let you see the catch and release in detail – in real time.
Oar instrumentation adds just 2 ounces (60 grams) near the pivot point of the oar .
SmartOar can install oar sensors and oarpods on any brand oar, sweep, sculling, and indoor tank oars.
In recent years, feedback loops have improved rowing around the world: video, speedometers and ergometers help rowers and coaches make changes. On the water, the coaches eyes and judgement are critical to making effective crews. SmartOar can enhance a coach’s effectiveness by showing the actual shape of the force curves and their timing relationships to rowers to help them make changes in their stroke. Crews can visually see the importance of catching together and how to better match the shape of their curves.
Current systems used by national teams around the world are prohibitively expensive and difficult to use – often requiring consultants just to interpret the data. They can be barely usable in practice, let alone when it matters most in seat racing and racing.
smartOar is an easy-to-use, reliable, and reasonably priced system that all rowers can use in everyday training and racing.